Saturday, April 20, 2013

Here today ...Well...you know the rest....

 
Hey guys, so a friend asked me to tackle a subject that maybe close to a lot of your hearts. It’s happened to me in some way, shape or form and I’m sure I’m not alone in this experience. In going along on this weight loss journey many of you understand the joy and jubilation of dropping substantial amounts of weight. You get a new sense of purpose, a sense of freedom and ultimately a new beginning. For many of us this experience usually runs in tandem to with another type of loss that isn’t quite as enjoyable.

 When you change (physically, emotionally or spiritually) you tend to see things differently in your everyday life. You are inclined to see people differently as well. All of a sudden friends, love ones, significant others, spouses, life partners and even family look, act, sound, and appear different. Sometimes we can chalk this up to outgrowing one another, or even being in different places in our lives. However in many cases the reasons for these changes are simple and devastating. I’ve had several people express to me that since their journey began (whether through weight loss surgery or the good old fashioned way) they’ve lost friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, and family members and most times it’s through no fault of their own. Sure it does a body (and mind) good to drop 15, 20 even 30 pounds to take a step towards a healthier lifestyle. On the contrary when the weight loss is a staggering 50 plus pounds and you transform into a whole new person people’s true feelings tend to creep to the surface. As your waistline shrinks undoubtedly so does your inner circle, and for some of us the realization that these people NEVER really had our best interest at heart is demoralizing.


 
You want nothing more than to celebrate your accomplishments and triumphs with those you love, but what happens when those who are supposed to be in your corner leaving you standing alone? Speaking bluntly, tell them to KICK ROCKS! Period! I made the best decision ever before I embarked on my journey. I prayed to GOD that he remove ALL those who were not conducive to my progress, sanity, positivity or lifestyle. I asked him to limit my circle to those who truly cared about me and my well-being. It hurt to lose friends, loved ones, and a significant other but I gained so much more in return. I gained a true since of support and love and a whole heap of it came from people I LEAST expected. I was blessed to have true friends and loved ones in my corner, but I’m aware that this is not the case for others in my position. Let’s keep it real…jealousy is a cruel beast. Not everyone is good or good for you and sometimes those you live and lay with can hurt you the most! Examples of some situations you should RUN from:
·         As a couple you embark on a weight loss journey together, he/she loses a lot but you don’t and then you start looking into surgery options and he/she is against it?
·         They are supportive of your initial decision, but once they see your results they change for the worse (emotionally, mentally, physically abusive or unsupportive)?
·         You were the life of the party as the funny FAT one and now the invitations have subsided?
·         You are totally into the lifestyle change but they do things to deter or alter your course (i.e. food choices, workouts)?
·         They were NOT there when you were larger and now that you are smaller they have a whole lot they want to say, do and prove (don’t believe the hype)?

 I despise the superficial and artificial but often we don't see these things and people for who and what they are. At the end of the day the decision for change should be solely fueled by a WANT or even a NEED to change, because this is really a life or death decision. The real work begins after the cuts and incisions are made. If you were pushed to embark on this journey for other reasons (vanity, popularity, insanity) I question the effectiveness of your results and I strongly urge you to look to yourself for the real reasons for your decision. True enough support from my TEAM (God, friends, family, the bariatric center, doctors, staff, and loved ones) was KEY IN MY SUCCESS.  I truly understand that I could not have made it this far without them. Although I have been met with disappointment and loss due to my decision I take solace in the fact that those people were simply not meant to be a part of my journey. I’m on a mission for me myself and I.  I spent 28 years in the wrong damn body, and I refuse to be trapped for the rest of my life. I implore you to make whatever you feel is the right decision for you. You have to live with the results, regrets, or consequences. Until next time my loves …Beauty, Lace and a Slimmer Waist.
~B~
Got a comment or a question?  Leave it here or hit me up:
 
Sistersinsurgery00@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/shehotta

No comments:

Post a Comment